Note Of The Time

" The Water that you will drink will not pass you by "- African Proverb

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Vacheron Constantin Metiers D'art 'Les Masques'-Tribal Mask Watches(2007 Set)

          Vacheron Constantin celebrated 250 years of its existence in 2005 by creating 3 sets of these limited edition watches. Embedded on the glass face of the watch is a French poem by Michel Butor.


Their first collaborative set was four series of limited edition Tribal Mask Watches released in 2007 featuring Masks of China’s Qidan, Congo’s Mahongwe, Alaska’s Tlingit Indians and Indonesia’s Wayang Topeng.
It was then followed by the next four tribal mask watches in 2008, featuring Masks of Japan’s Buddha, Gabon’s Kwele, Mexico’s Maya and Papua New Guinea’s Low Ramu.
In June 2009, VACHERON CONSTANTIN completed the collections by releasing the third set of Metier d’Art Le Masque 2009: China, Indonesia, Mexico, and Gabon Tribal Mask Watches.

2007 – FIRST SET of Metiers d’Art “Les Masques”
CHINA MASK 
Death Mask
Qidan people, Liao dynasty (907-1125)
Gilded bronze, excavation patina
Height: 24.5 cm


The light is concentrated
in the gold where I close my eyes
through my eyelids I see
the sleep of my descendants
I slip into their dreams
to give them my news
and light up the impasses
where adversity lies in wait



ALASKA MASK 
Frontal Mask
North-west coast of the United States, Tlingit Indians
19th century
Polychrome wood. Height: 18 cm


If I stick out my tongue
it is to show the trust
I have in you
following your movements
on the sea between storms and in
forests between vast conifers
on which your genealogical myths
will be inscribed
Michel Butor


cONGO MASK 
Death Mask
Republic of the Congo, upper reaches of the Likuala River
Mahongwé or Ngaré people
Semi-hard polychrome wood (black, white and red)

Height: 35.5 cm 



They wanted to deepen the shadow

where you will set your eyes
so that the fl ashes of sun
and flames will penetrate further
with their arrows to tattoo
not only your face
and the skin of your whole body
but the secrets of your night





INDONESIA MASK 
Facial Mask
Wayang Topeng theatre
Island of Java, Indonesia
Polychrome wood (white, black, several shades of red)

Height: 21 cm 



Bewitcher I observe
the shapes of girls who pass
my eyebrows are like a bird
ready to take wing and circle
its prey, my moustache
like a serpent ready
to strike at the least sign
of weakness or assent
Michel Butor

Relayed Content from men-access.com

No comments:

Post a Comment